Monday 14 July 2014

GSOC ain't your College Assignment

Today I submitted my first c code and it was a such a disaster that I am looking back and laughing at it. Contributing to open source comes with it's own baggage like license, coding style and git, all of which I never cared about. But these are very important in an collaborative environment and hence important to learn. I got the bare bone version of my debug program working (with errors) and committed it. But before committing I remembered, "Where is the license?" So I copied the license from a VHDL file ( I know I am a smartass) and then happily committed it, feeling proud of my achievement. Only later I realised that it won't compile because to comment in VHDL we use "--" which will throw a compile error in C. Shenki must have been ROFLing on seeing it.

Also I would like to propose daily tweeting instead of daily blogging. I haven't been blogging lately not because I was not working but blog, don't know why, sounds to  me hard work, like the daily cursive writing my Mom used to make me write when I was a kid.

Okay now I am rambling. Daily Snippet:
-[code]Debug program
-Studied Git
-Studied Linux Coding Stlye Guide
-Sat and wondered why mithro and shenki work so hard?

Tomorrow:
-[code]Debug program
-work on comments and *try* to rebase 


No comments:

Post a Comment