Friday 27 June 2014

Debug Data

Things are not as easy as they seem to look. After plenty of debugging and testing on hardware I was finally able to get the debug code working. I haven't implemented the part which outputs size of encoded data because it is a 3 byte value and I didn't have the foresight to write a very generalised code. Other debug data are 1 byte.

So this is what I get from the UART. By the way I am using the test image and encoding quality of 50%.

  • Input Frame Rate: 60 Hz. This is what it is suppose to be.
  • Output Frame Rate: ranges from 15 to 21. So lets take the average value to be 18.
  • Time taken to write frame into DDR2 Ram: 16-17 ms. This is what I approximated
  • Time taken for encoder to compress: 23 ms Again I was close
  • No. of frames dropped: 2
So in a second is 60 frames. And for every frame read, 2 frames are dropped which means only 20 frames are being processed.

Writing + processing time = 40 ms => 25 fps. So I *guess* we are losing 10 milliseconds in sending the data. (will check this).

So I guess we know what our bottleneck is : When image is written into ddr2, it is not processed and when image is processed, image is not written into ddr2.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment